What does a system like this cost to install? A geothermal system for the typical building may cost more than if you bought a typical Variable Air Volume (VAV) or Roof-top air conditioning systems.
- Payback, or how long it takes to recover the difference in costs between the two systems using energy savings.
- Total operating savings from heating, cooling, and hot water must be combined to get an accurate picture of total energy savings.
- Energy costs and availability, both present and future.
- Maintenance costs and system reliability.
- System lifespan.
- Energy analysis software such as eQuest® can calculate annual operating costs for geothermal systems and compare to other system technologies
Installation costs for geothermal look differently when factoring in all of these elements.
|Fan Coil, Chiller/Boiler 4-Pipe||.14||1.40||1.54||$12.00|
|Variable Air Volume||.14||.94||1.08||$9.00|
|Geothermal Heat Pump||.07||.62||.69||$10.00|
|Water Loop Heat Pump||.10||.94||1.04||$8.00|
|Per square foot of building space|
Retrofitting with Geothermal
ClimateMaster geothermal systems are the affordable choice for retrofitting because of the reduced space and duct work requirements. Geothermal system installations simply eliminate these costly needs:
- Large-scale complex duct work
- Operating engineers
- Complicated controls
- Holes in exterior walls
- Large mechanical rooms